The year kicked off with an article from the Economist calling 2019 the year of the vegan. SoFlo Vegans takes a look at some of the major headlines to help reinforce this claim and point to how 2019 was indeed a banner year vegans.
Let us know if we missed anything in the comments and we may consider adding it to this section.
- Greta Thunberg named TIME’s Person of the Year and GQ’s Game Changer of the Year
- Million Dollar Vegan challenges the Pope and the President to go vegan.
- Vegan World Alliance (VWA) forms to promote vegan values on a global scale. This includes the Dutch Association for Veganism, the Vegan Society of Aotearoa New Zealand, the Vegan Society of Canada, and Vegan Australia.
- The Humane Cosmetics Act is currently being reviewed in Congress and could ban cosmetic testing on animals.
- Manufacturers switching to vegan leather include Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Porsche, Bentley, Volvo, Nissan, Mercedes, and Tesla.
Beauty and Fashion
- Hourglass Cosmetics go 100% vegan.
- California signs the Cruelty-Free Cosmetics Act into Law.
- California bans fur.
- Illinois bans the sale of cosmetics tested on animals.
- Nevada bans animal testing for cosmetics.
- Australia bans Animal testing for cosmetics.
- Canada moves toward banning cosmetic animal testing.
- China ends animal testing requirements on post-market cosmetics.
- Ukraine to ban cosmetics testing on animals.
- Billie Eilish is Billboard Woman of the Year and Top New Artist for 2019, appeared on SNL with fellow vegan Woody Harrelson, had a #1 album and song on the charts.
- RZA launches a vegan down-free puffer jacket, wallet, clothing line and supports the ban on fur in NYC.
- Kesha launches a vegan makeup line.
- Kanye West is launching a vegan pair of Yeezy shoes.
- Ellen Degeneres launches vegan fur range and invests in Miyoko Cheese.
- Queen Elizabeth goes fur-free for the animals.
- The Game Changers becomes the number one documentary on and number ONE best-seller of ALL movie pre-orders iTunes.
- The Joker breaks records with the biggest October Domestic and International Opening of All Time. It stars vocal vegan advocate, Joaquin Phoneix.
- Vegan Meat Market worth $41 Billion after Beyond Meat IPO.
- Beyond Meat set records by opening at $46 per share back in May. They are currently partnering with McDonald’s, Aramark, 7-Eleven, Dunkin, Subway, KFC, Blue Apron, Del Taco, TGI Fridays, Carl’s Jr.
- Impossible Foods valued at 4.1 Billion and holds partnerships with Burger King, White Castle, Little Caesars.
- Nestle announces Awesome Burger.
- The Dairy Industry sales dropped more than 1.1 billion, losing 2,731 licensed dairy farms, with America’s largest milk producer Dead Foods filing for bankruptcy.
- Mayor de Blasio, Chancellor Carranza, and Brooklyn Borough President Adams Announce Citywide Meatless Mondays.
- Novak Djokovic won the Wimbledon Men’s Singles final for the fifth time.
Join Our Community
Discover the different ways you can support our growing movement and help local businesses in South Florida.